The groundwork for a Presbyterian church in Dyersburg was laid in October of 1853, when the Rev. William A Hall visited the town at the request of a few friends. After $120 was subscribed, he was engaged to preach on the third Sunday in every month, which he began doing regularly in January of 1854.
In April of that same year, a petition was presented to the Presbytery of the Western District convened at the Zion Presbyterian Church in Brazil, TN. Presbytery's minutes of that meeting read: "A petition from sundry persons at Dyersburg was presented to Presbytery requesting a church to be organized at said place and the Rev. Hall was appointed to organize said church on the 18th day of August, 1854." Nine persons presented themselves for membership and the organization was effected on Saturday, August 19, 1854. That night, after a sermon by the pastor, Richard Henderson, John G Latta, and George H Todd were installed as the first elders. That same night, the first new member, Isaiah Fuller, was examined and recieved into the new church. The first Lord's Supper was administered on Sunday, August 20, 1854, to about 40 people.
The report to Presbytery in the spring of 1861 showed a membership of 19, but there is then a break in the records until 1867, no doubt caused by the effects of the civil war on the congregation.
There were no meetings of the session between 1867 and 1872, but beginning in March of 1872, Rev. O.B. Caldwell was engaged to preach twice a month for a yearly salary of $250. It was the custom to have preaching on Saturday night before each communion service on Sunday in order to prepare the congregation for the sacrament.
The records of 1883 show that preaching was held in Sawyer's Opera House and the Sunday School met in the Masonic Hall. A little later, services were held alternately in the Opera House and in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The first deacons were installed in 1883. By 1885, there were 34 members with a budget of $310.
The congregation erected its own building in 1883 on the corner of Mill and McGaughey streets. About 1919 the building was remodeled and a manse on Oak Street was built for a total cost of $40,000. In 1952, a $26,000 annex was dedicated.
In 1972, the church moved to a new location on Highway 51 Bypass on land generously donated by the Alexander family. For many years, services were held in what is now Alexander Hall until the present day sanctuary was built and dedicated September 12, 1993.
In 1983, the congregation voted to change its affiliation from the Presbyterian Church in the United States to Presbyterian Church in America.
In 1995, First Presbyterian Christian School opened with an enrollment of 24 students. Originally, classes met in Sunday School rooms, but in 1999 a building was erected for the growing school. In 2003, the name was changed to Christ Classical Academy to reflect a new vision for the school.