The Beginning: 1853
God laid the groundwork for First Presbyterian Church (FPC) in Dyersburg in October 1853, when Rev. William A. Hall visited the town. He agreed to preach on the third Sunday of each month, which he began doing regularly in January 1854.
In April 1854 a petition was presented to the Presbytery of the Western District, meeting in Brazil, TN, requesting that a church be organized in Dyersburg. Rev. Hall was appointed to organize the church, which took place on Saturday, August 19, 1854.
Nine persons presented themselves for membership, and they chose the name “Dyersburg” as the name for the new church. Rev. Hall continued as stated supply preacher until the Civil War in 1861.