Previous: Racial Inclusion and Civil War
First Meeting Places
In 1919, the church was rebuilt, and in 1952, an annex was added
Sensing a need to minister to people in the Evansville community, the Session passed a resolution on April 25, 1954, approving to rent a building just west of Bowen’s Lane for a “Sunday School outpost.”
The rental idea was subsequently abandoned in favor of purchasing a site located on Highway 20, where FPC held its opening service for this group of believers on July 11, 1954.
Around the time FPC moved to its new location on the Hwy. 51 Bypass in 1972, that congregation closed to join them, being in much closer proximity, and they sold the Evansville property. Those members have all now departed this life, but many current members still remember elder Raymond Hutson and his wife Frances, who also served as church secretary for several years.
In 1972, the church moved to its present property on Highway 51 Bypass, generously donated by the Alexander family. Services were held in what is now Alexander Hall until the present sanctuary was dedicated on September 12, 1993.