The goal of our Inquirers’ Class is for participants to understand membership vows and for members and visitors to get their honest questions answered about our church and its beliefs.
Why ask and answer questions?
- To “love the Lord your God …, and with all your mind” Matthew 22:37
- To “take every thought captive to obey Christ “ 2 Corinthians 10:5
Jesus was our model
- “Jesus asked, Are you also still without understanding?” Matthew 15:16
- “And all who heard Him (Jesus) were amazed at His understanding and His answers.” Luke 2:47
Who is the Inquirers’ Class at First Presbyterian Church for?
- Regular Visitors
- Anyone with questions about First Presbyterian Church
Who is answering your questions?
- Members of the Session
When do we meet?
During Sunday School or at a time agreed up by participants
What happens if there are no questions?
- We will talk about what a Christian believes. Five membership questions.
- We will talk about what Presbyterians believe. Summary of Westminster Confession of Faith
- These two topics often raise lots of questions, too.
Is the Inquirers’ Class necessary for Membership at First Presbyterian Church?
- Yes, it is necessary. A public profession of faith is necessary for joining the church. The way we publicly profess our faith is by affirming the five membership vows. The Inquirers’ Class insures an understanding of those five vows.
- The Inquirers’ Class is also helpful for those not familiar with what Presbyterians believe.
How do you get involved in the Inquirers’ Class?
Sign up with Lynn Hall – 731-285-6284
Subjects we cover depend on questions asked. Here are some topics regularly covered.
- Holy Spirit
- Baptism and Infant Baptism
- Presbyterian History
- Presbyterian Church in America
- Presbyterian form of Government
- How to find your way at First Presbyterian Church?
- Women In The Church
- Sunday School Classes
- And many more…