Becoming A Member
Scripture teaches that in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others (Romans 12:5). Membership in First Presbyterian Church is therefore open to all who profess faith in Jesus Christ and believe the basic teaching of the Christian faith. One may join upon profession of faith, reaffirmation of faith, or transfer of letter from an evangelical church.
Church membership is an important expression of the believer’s love and loyalty to the Lord Jesus Christ.
How do I become a member of First Presbyterian Church?
If you are interested in joining First Presbyterian Church you will need to:
- Schedule a visit with the pastor to discuss membership. You can talk to him yourself or call the church office (731) 285-6284.
- Participate in Inquirers’ Class.
- Meet with the Session to give a testimony faith in Christ.
- Affirm membership vows in Sunday morning worship service.
Five Questions of Membership
Each new member will be asked to affirm these five questions:
- Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope except through His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and trust Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to strive for its purity and peace?